Makeover A Living Room With A Victorian Style
Makeover A Living Room With A Victorian Style – Victorian decorating is considered one of the most inticate of all the different interior decorating styles that you can choose from. The reason for this is because the colors, fabrics, furniture and decorations are all elaborate and full.
Victorian decorating is based on the period during the 19th century in jolly old England. So, the more authentic you want your Victorian room to be, you can expect that the furnishings and other decorative items can be quite expensive.
You will need to be very creative and crafty if you wish to make the most of this theme. But, it’s possible to makeover a living room with a Victorian style, even if you are on a tight budget.
Following is an example of how you can use Victorian decorating to transform the look of your living room:
1. If you know the size of the area you have to work with, the first thing you should do before beginning your Victorian decorating is to measure the space of the living room.
2. Use colors such as deep green, red, dark pink, mauve, burgundy, and purple for walls, rugs, upholstery and other accessory colors. These were the most popular colors of the Victorian period.
It’s also a great idea to add crown molding and wallpaper borders around the top of walls. And don’t be afraid to use more than one color when decorating the room.
3. You can choose rich wooden furnishings such as sofas and chairs when selecting furniture for Victorian decorating. The legs, backs and arms of these furnishings are carved to stand out, while the upholstery is usually velvet, embroidered fabrics, and brocade.
Accompanying these pieces are pillows that are created with similar fabrics, and trimmed with lace, frills, beading, ribbons or bows. The other furnishings in the room for Victorian decorating are various marbletop tables or they could be made of wood such as bamboo.
4. Decorations that are placed on the tables, such as candle holders, crystal lamps, porcelain figurines, or a vase of dried flowers, should be set on embroidered doilies to add affect.
All paintings are usually in gold or wooden frames. Other exciting Victorian pieces that can be added to the living room are a grandfather clock, porcelain dolls and decorative plates.
Other Victorian decorating accessories that you can add to the room to give it authenticity include paintings of young maidens, children, a portrait of your family, or perhaps of your ancestors.
5. When Victorian decorating windows, you need to make them elaborate with draperies, swags and braided tiebacks. Popular fabrics for the window are also brocades and velvet.
6. The floors of the living room can either be hardwood floors or wall-to-wall carpeting. But, no matter which flooring type you choose, it is a good idea to add an area rug that is fashioned in an oriental style to complete the authenticity of the Victorian decorating look.
As you can see, Victorian decorating is very involved and comes with a heavy feel to it. That being the case, make sure you pick a room that can handle this décor. That way, you can enjoy it to its fullest.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.